Every month of the semester, Travers, Wolfe and Cromwell Residence Halls will be competing in the “Do It In The Dark” energy reduction competition. In an effort to reduce The College of New Jersey’s carbon footprint, students of these halls are encouraged to reduce their energy consumption.
Every month, the building that saves the most energy is award a trophy in their corresponding Hall Office. The building that reduces it energy the most frequently will have a tree planted and an honorary plaque. Every resident, furthermore, in the winning building will be placed in a raffle for a $50 gift card.
The energy usages will be closely tracked and compared to last year’s usage. So far, Travers and Cromwell have tied in the month of November, saving 19.3% compared to last year. February results will be in shortly and March is around the corner.
All students are encouraged to reduce energy consumption in the following ways:
- Turn off the lights when leaving your room.
- Unplug appliances when they are not in use.
- Unplug chargers when they’re not charging anything.
- Raise your refrigerator’s thermostat.
- Take shorter showers and don’t leave the water running while brushing your teeth.